I’ve been busy lately, just not necessarily taking any time to blog about it. At all. But I thought the time had come to collect the piles of photos I’ve got into something documenting some of the cool stuff I’ve done.
So, one at a time, starting earlier this summer.
I made a lightbulb!
Instructables.com has a lot of great projects, posted by the people who made them. Step by step, easy to follow, and often pretty creative.
For the lightbulb, I followed this Instructable : http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Lightbulb/
New tools! In the interest of staying alive, or at least keeping myself from having extra piercings, I got a drill press. At the time, I had to have it in my kitchen.
The drill press helped me put axial holes through these screws. It was not easy. I was happy that I bought so many extra. There was a lot of “practicing”.
The cap and electrodes went together very easily. Through the screws, heatshrink to insulate it, and JB welded on.
Top view of the lid. There are 4 screws to help get rid of the air in the jar. The others are sealed off.
The instructions said to use dry ice to remove air from the jar. I used way too much.
Dry ice gave me water condensation. Next try I used good ol’ baking soda and vinegar, and poured the CO2 into the jar. MUCH better.
Full jar – pencil lead filament in place.
It gets a little smokey in there the first time you power it. It goes away though.
The glow! The searing fire of my own creation!
It burned with the fire of a thousand suns for 2 seconds that I didn’t have my camera ready. Then the filament burned out.